Monday 6 December 2021

Local government

 In NSW we had local government elections on Saturday. I voted early as I thought I would be umpiring on the Saturday at a game starting at 10 so I would have to be there at 9 which would mean leaving home at 8.30. As it was I got a game starting at 12.15!

I live in the Parramatta LGA. I only had a choice of six candidates to choose three from. One group was the ALP and the other Independents. It appears the ALP gained ground. In my ward two ALP got elected  including one young man who does not look as he has reached 30 yet.

Ryde Council is very close. The ALP gained one seat here as well. I even talked with Jeremy Laxalle the current Mayor at an early polling booth. I was impressed. He pointed out he was not an expert on every policy area and had a good understanding of what the ALP had done in Bennelong over the last few elections.

In both LGAs there were plenty of Independents who had plenty of people to help them hand out how to vote leaflets.

I am cheesed off with local councils however. Football season ended quite early and cricket season started late. This should have meant the grounds would be perfect as grass should cover all the grounds. It should also have meant perfect pitches as the groundsmen had plenty of time to prepare pitches,

What I have seen each weekend are a lot of bare patches on the grounds and pitches which spin a lot with little bounce. The Councils have simply not had the groundsmen looking after the grounds at all.

It is a disgrace not only to cricket but also to football who also should be anticipating the best grounds in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment