Wednesday 16 June 2021

Fred Gruen

 Nick Gruen over at Troppo has a nice and proud article on his dad Fred Gruen.

I was always fond of Fred Gruen. He was an Economics Professor who edited one of the best books on macro-economics I read at Uni. His wonderful voice with his distinct accent was heard numerous times on ABC current affairs programs also.

One Saturday in my late 30s I was coming back from unsuccessfully attempting to play golf at Bowral. I was not in a great mood .I still had to drive three mates and myself back to Sydney. It was hot and I was tired and I was hungry and thirsty. At my insistence we stopped at a small restaurant in Mittagong and ordered lunch. I was not drinking alcohol as I was driving.

I looked up and to my amazement saw Fred Gruen and his wife lunching. To my great surprise I walked over to both as I am not a very social person.  I gushed out how grateful I was to read his articles and hear him talk because it made economics come alive to me. He was taken aback somewhat because I think of my age ( it was some 15 years since I had finished Uni) and also  because he was retired. I cannot remember what he said back to me probably because of my embarrassment but I do remember seeing Fred's wife looking very proud.  I should also add I never went to university where Fred was either.

Fred had two sons. nick is an intellectual and David possibly the 'brainiest' ( is that a word) I have ever met. He had a Phd in Physics but got bored and then got a Phd in economics!

If he were still alive he would be immensely proud of both.


No comments:

Post a Comment