Sunday 11 October 2020

A Football Grand Final

 I went with my older son to the all Age 10 grand final on Saturday for the North West FA. It was held at West Epping.

The Game was between Macquarie University and St Andrews Eastwood. The former was undefeated whilst the latter was going for their third successive grand final win.

Both my son and I had referees St Andrews whilst my younger son had refereed Uni last week. He then informed us there was bad blood between the two teams.

The game was unspectacular  but marred by very poor refereeing. He actually did not run at all. He gave Uni tow penalties. The first he was well out of position ( nearer the halfway line than the penalty area.

HE gave a penalty but not a red card ( for a dogso as the jargon tells us.) This was absurd. It was either a penalty for stopping a goal and a red card or it was play on. Then whilst the penalty was taken he was on the goal line together with the linesman so he had no idea of any encroachment.

He gave a second penalty in the second half for what my son and I thought was a dive and thus a yellow card.

On neither occasion did he go to his lineman and so show the crowd he was taking their opinion into account.

I saw a studs up tackle a that three referees thought was a red card. I saw a defender push an attacker away from a provocative position in front of the goal keeper and take no action.

The only yellow card was produced when a player kicked the ball away  when a free kick was given. no action was taken when opposition players clapped the said player. 


but the worse thing was the crowd, Full of beer on both sides, terrible remarks and NO social distancing.

My son was coopted to ring the police about this. ( the crowd was around 100, not bad for such a game).

The  police palmed this off and gave him the covid hotline to ring. After several attempts he did.

Did anyone come you ask.

Not in this match, not in the next which my oldest son line nor the match after that which my younger son lined. so.


onya Gladys. good to see Covid is being taken so seriously.



No comments:

Post a Comment