We are told in breat-taking fashion the coalition is releasing their policy on immigration today.
I have written about immigration before. I would not be surprised if we hear generalities today on HOW they will cut immigration as there are massive problems that occur when you want to massively cut immigration.
Let us assume they will leave backpackers alone to help the agricultural sector. Then this means they will have to cut in large terms
- family reunions (one of which is aussies who marry foreigners),
- skilled labour for industry
- unskilled labour for retail and such ( where uni students are important)
- foreign students at tertiary institutions
It will also have large effects on the budget in that it will increase the deficit.
Also very important is the politics. Imagine such a large cut is implemented. There would be a very loud hue and cry from those people and institutions affected.
I very much doubt we we will get any specifics form the Opposition
No comments:
Post a Comment