Monday 4 March 2024

Film Review Dune 2

 Although I am not as bad as Tyler Cowen like the first movie I was very disappointed in the second.

The reason is perhaps the same. They have changed far too much from the book.

 I confess that I read the dune series every Christmas holidays as it is a great read except for the dreadful God Emperor book.

Chani is very different as is the Princess Irulan but at least unlike Kynes they have not changed sex!  Stilgar is not the religious fanatic in the film I could go on about changes from the book but it would be boring.

It could be because I know the book so well this means I will never like the movie. however I did like david Lynch's movie and I did like  the LOTR movies des[ite the changes they made.

I am not sure I just know I came out of a poorly attended cinema at Top Ryde very disappointed.

My eldest son has asked me about the ending. He thinks it is ambiguous. Is Chani leaving everyone? Is she giving herself up to a worm? Why is she using a worm when Dune is now rules by the Fremen? In the books she has twins but here she is leaving everyone which includes Paul.

It is merely just another change from the books which make little sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment