Tuesday 5 October 2021

Book Review: Bradman's war

 I need a change of pace ( pun intended) so I am reviewing an old book but still the BEST book on cricket I have ever read.

Whilst football is my first love I have to say I prefer to read books on cricket. They are mostly good reads and tell a lot about the people involved.

This book is no different. It is mainly about Bradman. The poms were desperate for him to your in 1948. It is amazing to what lengths they went to. A ridiculous small amount of overs until a new ball was allowed was one. He was even influential in who played for England in the 5 tests.

What is also interesting is how luck helped the Aussies. If they were in a perilous position it rained. It didn't if Australia were in a winning position.

I had always known Bradman was an unpopular person amongst players before the war but until I read the book I did not realise he was unpopular amongst those players who had served in the war such as Keith Miller.

I have but one criticism Knox estimates Lindwall's pace in the 140k range. Trevor Bailey in his book said Lindwall's pace was similar to Hall at his peak which would make it at least 150k. Possibly similar to Lille in his prime.


If you enjoy cricket and you will  love this book. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment