Sunday 9 September 2018

Macquarie Sports Radio

I wrote before on Sydney Radio and mentioned my scepticism about how successful a radio station could be if it merely talked about Sport all day and night.

My scepticism remains despite one large bright spot in their lineup. More later.

I should put on record whereas in my youth I enjoyed quite a lot of different sport on becoming a grumpy old man I find I only enjoy football the game all neo-liberal lovers of globalisation love as well as the great game of cricket which is of course the highest form of culture in sport!!😊

There has been quite a number of changes in personnel since its introduction as an all sport radio station. This indicates to me that management did not have any great idea on how to proceed when the station started. You cannot flick people after one survey and if people have left willingly then they put little thinking into the project. They also do not seem to understand what makes good presenters and others good at analysis etc

I am possibly not the only person who really does not want to listen to sport during the day. Current Affairs or music are my choices, It is different come night time and the week-end however.
The other BIG problem that has arisen is the lack of subject matter which means when a 'controversial' issue arises then that is the one subject you will hear about all day.  Okay I am exaggerating but you get the picture.
There have been three such issues since the station started, Israel Folau ( on which I have written), The lady from Tasmania who Cricket Australia dismissed and recently the Canterbury mad monday fiasco.  This means listening does get a tad boring.

Let us now look at the various line-ups.

I am going to concentrate on their truly great star to start with.
  • Their great success is at night time. Julian King and his producer Christian Jansen are very good. King has a great radio voice and is laid back only as much as you would want at night. The interaction and banter between the two is genuine and comes over very well. When he had Billy McGee doing expert commentary and analysis on say football it was essential listening. ( I think Billy  could succeed Les Murray as Mr Football if he gets the breaks and wants to.) Losing Billy to Afternoons has meant the night program loses a lot but Julian steadily works on and anyone who had played Shires cricket is always worth a listen to on cricket anyway. ( Yes I am hopeless biased). I should also confess I have phoned up on a few occasions as well. Yep that is how much I enjoy the program. King's is superb at leading the analyst so we get to listen to enjoyable radio. It is almost he is there with you sharing a beer or coffee. He was superb at enabling Billy McGee highlighting all his assets. Whether it be his ebullience, his personalty or simply his knowledge.
  • Breakfast is a time slot where changes have abounded for the worst. It is now inhabited by to people who think blokiness is the norm and treat it like talking in a pub. It is simply immaturity writ large and I didn't stay.
  • Mornings is inhabited by David Morrow whose ABC pedigree must always be respected however he is not a front man. He is a team man and it shows.His female offsider did not enhance any listening when I tried  the program.
  • Afternoons has also seen it share of changes. They have James Willis is for two hours and then the inimitable Billy McGee and the ageless Meike Buchan. I do think both James and Billy ( Billy is the better of the two) should stick to analysing and talking about various sports rather than being front men. Both speak far too quickly for a start. I assume this will eventually go away once the nervousness goes away as well. Both men are way better at responding to questions or suggestions rather than asking questions. ( David Morrow fits this bill so it is not age).
  • Can't talk about the two before Julian King as I have not listened to it. Sorry better thinks to do during that time.
  • I hate to say it but weekends are simply boring no matter what time of day. This could be as I am rushing to grounds refereeing ( it will be the same for cricket) I simply found myself putting my ipod on listen however rather than listening to the radio.
  • On the weekends after midnight they have an english station on and it is enjoyable. You can even listen to english radio ads!

Does the station have a future? I have my doubts but I have no idea of the business model. 
The other problem is what do you say when various matches are boring and there is little to talk about?  The winter sports are about to end and you cannot talk just nonstop cricket with a touch of EPL and  A-League in summer.

It seems to me not a lot of thinking went into the whys and wherefores of a sports station.

I should end on two unusual things that occurred when listening.

On any controversies' the presenters and others all appeared to have a quite liberal view of the world. In direct contrast to their sister station 2GB which is justly known as Radio R Pravda because of the propaganda ir so spews out from its fake news.

Interviews with sports 'stars or coaches are dead boring. It is as bad as listening top politicians. Indeed it is very similar as they simply talk their 'book'.

No comments:

Post a Comment