Ross Garnaut made a speech on this topic quite recently
Just some tasty morsels.
- Solar PV has fallen 82% in cost since 2010 and is now cheaper than old coal.
- Everyone here and overseas has badly underestimated how quickly and how far these costs have fallen
- He is particularly worried about AEMO reacting too slowly to this radical change
- He thinks it i s likely solar PV costs wil be $ 30 /MWh by 2030. This means costs back when old coal was at its cheapest!
- He then sees a renaissance in aluminium in Australia as he believes we have a comparative advantage in this are.
Read the article and then listen to the speech.