Tuesday 23 July 2019

Should Newstart be raised.

Newstart or the dole as it used to be called should be raised as it is very hard to live on whilst looking for work.
Peter Whiteford gives his typical thoughtful and well researched approach in finding out whether people are on it for a short or long time.
Ross Gittins tells us increasing the dole ( Ross it aint  called that anymore) will help people getting a job.

Since I have been either been made redundant or retrenched  I do know what is involved in finding a job.
It is a very involved job in fact. I was lucky because both times I was given professional help in finding a job.
In essence you use your network to find out jobs which are never advertised. This involves a lot of phonecalls and coffees.

In my instance I was not eligible for newstart. My wife worked and the money owed me ensured this.
In both cases I thought the process was getting me nowhere when suddenly a job appeared.

So I agree with Ross. Increasing newstart certainly helps you in attempting to find a job.
People can see straight away work for the dole is perhaps the worst strategy for people looking for a job.
Very late:
Greg Jericho

No comments:

Post a Comment